Drain blocks are a prevalent plumbing problem that crops up on residential and commercial properties. While this problem doesn’t surface out of the blue, poor maintenance is the reason for it. Since the drains are out of sight, they are also out of mind.
Most property owners get other plumbing problems fixed promptly. However, they neglect getting maintenance done on the drain systems. We at SPS Plumbers Hills District have seen that it is generally neglect which causes the problem to become aggravated over time.
The Causes of Blocked Drains
Let’s look at what causes drain blockages
- Tree Roots in The Drain Pipe – The drainpipes that are under the ground in your landscaping leading out to the main city drains can sometimes develop cracks. It doesn’t take time for tree roots to find their way into the drain pipe, and they start growing at an alarming pace.
Before long these tree roots form a net inside the pipe and all the debris and food particles begin to get accumulated in there. Eventually, the buildup becomes so severe that it results in a backflow in the drains.
- Items Lodged in the Pipes– Various items such as toilet deodorant holders, sanitary products, flushable baby wipes, and toilet paper can find their way into the drains. If these get caught in the bends and junctions in the pipes, they can result in blocked drains.
- Pipe collapse- There are times when the drain pipes get misaligned, and conditions such as pressure from tree roots around them or even ground movement can cause a collapse of the pipes. In most instances, this occurs when there are heavy rain/drought conditions. The collapse results in a complete blockage and can cause a backup of sewage water in your home.
- Poor Drainage System Installation – There may incorrect slope/ fall in the drains, which can lead to blockages as well as debris buildups. At times there could be too many junctions/bends in the pipe that can cause similar issues
Signs of Blocked Drains
While there are several causes of blocked drains, there are many warning signs that can help you identify that there is an issue. Some of these include:
- After you flush the toilet, you can continue to hear some gurgling sounds from the system. These sound could good be coming from the sink, bath, shower, or toilet. They are generally caused when water that has been flushed displaces any air trapped in the drainage system.
- If you find that the water levels in your bath, sink or toilet are draining very slowly or if the water is rising in these fixtures, it means you have a drain block.
- A drop in the toilet water level also indicates that there may be some problems in the system due to which the water gets siphoned out of the toilet pan.
- Blocked drains can begin to leak into the subfloor area which can cause bad smell on your property.
As you can see, there are many different warning signs of blocked drains, and it is a good idea to call in in a licensed Sydney plumber to determine what is causing the problem. For any more information on the services that we at SPS Plumbers Hills District offer, feel free to contact us at this number- (02) 9158 3511 or contact us through this Online Form.
Click here to read more.